Colourful beef stir fry


Stir-fry is one of the easiest and quickest dishes, perfect for a weekday dinner after a long day at work. This is the first time I cooked a beef stir-fry this way, I found the recipe from taste.com.au but cooked some things differently from the original recipe. My husband likes the dish which means that I'll definitely cook it again. 


Ingredients
Beef strips 

A bunch of Broccolini - chop to 5 cm pieces
One red capsicum - chop to thin strips
a pack of baby corns - chop to 1 cm pieces

Garlic - roughly chop
Onion - roughly chop

Soy sauce
Oyster sauce

Oil 
Sesame Oil
Water


Cooking method
Heat a splash of oil and sesame oil in wok (high heat), cook beef in batches until the meat is thoroughly fried. This is a valuable tip I learned from taste.com.au, crowding beef when cooking will stew the meat rather than frying it. Heat up a little bit of oil and peanut oil for every new batch. Set cooked beef aside.

Heat a splash of oil and sesame oil on the same wok (medium heat), cook garlic and onion until the onion soften. put in the baby corns, constantly stir to let it cook for a minute. Baby corns takes longer to cook than the broccolini and capsicum so it should get cooked longer. Put in capsicum, broccolini, and a splash of water. Leave the vegetables to cook until the baby corn and broccolini stems soften.  

Carefully pour in a splash of oyster sauce and soy sauce, stir well, let it simmer, and taste the balance of flavour. If it needs more sweetness, add the oyster sauce, if it needs more saltiness, add the soy sauce. Once balance of taste is achieved, insert the cooked beef into the wok, and stir well so that the beef is coated with the sauce. Keep stirring the beef and vegetables until the beef is heated up. Taste the beef, if the meat tastes bland, add more oyster sauce and soy sauce, remembering to keep the balance of taste, mix the sauce thoroughly with the beef and vegetables, and leave for a little longer to cook. 

Serve dish with steamed rice.

Although I enjoyed dinner, I thought that the beef was a bit bland. I wonder if it will taste better if the beef was marinated first with the sauce but I fear that the sauce covered beef won't cook properly when stir fried. I also didn't like the chunky beef strips that much, I think I'd prefer thinly sliced beef (sukiyaki beef), I'll cook this recipe differently next time.

Comments