Simple Fried Rice



Simple Fried Rice Served With Raw Cucumbers & Tomatoes

I think moms would need to know how to cook fried rice as this dish can be cooked quickly in ONE wok/big pan and only requires a few ingredients. If you have left over rice, egg and frozen peas, you can already make a decent fried rice for your child(ren).

Every Friday afternoon, I'd come home from playgroup at lunch time and make a quick lunch. I have plenty of left over basmati rice in the fridge today so I decided to make fried rice.

As an ex-Indonesian, I used sweet soy sauce quite a lot in the past but I found the sweet taste overpowering. My favourite fried rice dishes are actually the ones from Yum Cha/Chinese restaurants. I still have not discovered the secret ingredients and cooking tips but I look forward to finding out one day. 

I decided to skip the sweet soy sauce and keep my fried rice simple today. I think I prefer this fried rice than the ones I made with sweet soy sauce. 

Simple Fried Rice
Makes two portions of fried rice


Ingredients



  1. 2 bowls of left over rice
  2. 2 large eggs mixed well in a bowl
  3. 4 slices of ham or bacon cut into small bits
  4. 3 spring onions, chop to 2 cm size length
  5. A knob of butter
  6. Olive Oil
  7. Soy Sauce
Method

1. Turn on the stove to high heat. Heat oil and butter in a wok or a large non stick pan. Wait until the butter is melted.



2. Add ham/bacon and spring onion into the wok and stir fry for a few minutes.






3. Add the egg mixture and continuously mix the egg until the scrambled egg is half cooked.



4. Add rice and a good splash of soy sauce. Keep stirring the rice, breaking any lumps. If the rice is still dry, add another splash of soy sauce and oil. Keep stirring until all the ingredients are cooked and mixed well together. Taste and season further if required.





5. Serve fried rice with your favourite accompaniments. I usually serve fried rice with raw cucumbers, tomatoes and tomato sauce. 





Comments