Deep Fried Chicken Spare Ribs




Deep Fried Chicken Spare Ribs

I lived in Melbourne City as a University Student and in my early 20s until I got married and moved to suburbia. When I lived in the city, I ate at Rose Garden BBQ Restaurant (Rose Garden BBQ Restaurant Melbourne CBD) a lot until I befriended the owner, and their chicken spare ribs is one of my favourite dishes to order. So I have eaten a lot of fried chicken spare ribs in my youth (see a photo of this dish here Rose Garden Chicken Spare Ribs).

A friend of mine, Natalia Hartanto, a brilliant cook and baker, posted a photo of her fried chicken spare ribs dish on her Facebook wall which looked exactly like the ones I had at Rose Garden BBQ. I decided to cook this dish after she told me her recipe.

The important ingredient for this dish is the garlic paste and garlic salt. I had to make a few adjustments to my friend's original recipe but I'm glad to report that the end result is promising. My fried chicken had the same crunchy texture and tasted similar to the restaurant's.

Here is my recipe:

Ingredients:


  • 500 grams of chicken spare ribs
  • Garlic Paste: 5 cloves of garlic, blend with a bit of water until it forms a runny paste
  • 1 table spoon of garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar
  • 1 stalk of spring onion and 1 small chilly, chop to tiny pieces as garnish
  • Corn Flour
  • Vegetable Oil (lots for deep frying)
Method:
  1. Marinate the chicken spare ribs with garlic paste, garlic salt and sugar evenly. Leave marinated chicken in a fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
  2. Heat lots of oil in a pot for deep frying (you want the chicken pieces to be covered completely in the oil for even cooking).
  3. On a plate, put a good amount of corn flour, then coat each chicken pieces evenly & thinly with the corn flour. Shake excess flour. 
  4. Deep fry coated chicken spare ribs until the chicken is cooked evenly and the skin is crispy and golden. It helps to turn and stir the chicken around with a kitchen tong.
  5. On a separate plate, place a few sheets of paper towel (kitchen tissue) on top, and place fried chicken spare ribs on top of the paper towel to drain excess oil.
  6. Sprinkle the garnish (chopped spring onion and chilly) on top of the chicken
  7. Serve fried chicken with steamed rice and your favourite vegetable

Comments