Porterhouse Steak With Creamy Mushroom Sauce, Buttered Green Beans & Baked Jacket Potato

Porterhouse Steak With Creamy Mushroom Sauce, Buttered Green Beans & Baked Jacket Potato




My husband and I are big fans of Steak. One of his favourite steak restaurants in Melbourne is Vlados http://www.vlados.com.au, where you spend good money to eat lots of high quality meat with very simple accompaniments, no sauces. My favourite restaurant is Squires Loft http://squiresloft.com.au, I love how they serve steak with baked potatoes as an option and delicious sauces. 

A friend of mine posted a photo of her steak dinner on Facebook. When I saw this I immediately bought some steak for our dinner the next day.  This definitely satisfied my cravings.

Making steak from home is definitely cheaper than going to the restaurants. If you want to give this dish a try this is my recipe. 

Dinner for 2

Ingredients:

  • 2 Porterhouse Steaks (or your favourite cut of steak, my husband prefers Scotch Fillet. Rump is the cheapest steak cut), coat steaks with olive oil, salt and pepper
  • 4 Button Mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 cup of Cooking Cream
  • 100 grams Green Beans, trim ends and cut to even lengths 
  • 2 Medium Size Washed Potatoes, pierce each potato on a few spots with a small knife and cover each potato completely with aluminium foil
Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, place potatoes on a tray and bake them for an hour. When half an hour has passed go to the next step.
  2. Heat a medium sized non-stick pan on high heat on the stove. Cook steak to your liking (rare/medium rare/medium/well done) grill the steaks on one side until the meat on the bottom is cooked about 1/2 way. Flip the steak and cook this side for a few minutes, turn the heat down to medium. This is what I normally do to determine how long I cook my steaks for (we like medium): I poke the steak in the middle during the cooking process to guess how cooked it is. If the meat is still soft in the middle = the inside is not cooked. If the meat is a bit firm in the middle = the inside is cooked medium rare. If the meat is very firm = I've over cooked it oh no! I am not a professional chef and there are no steak judges condemning me of my failure. Maybe just my husband. So we are not fussed if our steak is not cooked 'perfectly'. However if you're serious about this type of thing, google it and get a special meat thermometer. Set steak aside.
  3. Steam green beans until cooked (about 7 minutes) and mix the beans with a bit of butter.
  4. On the same pan, add a splash of olive oil and brown the mushroom slices. Add cream and a pinch of salt. You can either place the sauce in a jug or just pour a good amount on top of the steak when serving.
  5. Take out the potatoes, cut a cross on the top and place a small knob of butter on top.
  6. Serve steak with creamy mushroom sauce, green beans and baked potatoes on a big plate. 





Comments