Fried Eggplant in Indonesian Balado Chilly Sauce (Terong Balado)







This is my take on the traditional Indonesian dish. This eggplant dish is one of my favourite food growing up. However, the presentation of this dish is normally messy and definitely not pretty to look at. I have this idea in my head of making a stack of rice and eggplant balado (like a lasagna) and I'm happy that I had time today to execute this concept. I think it turned out well and for me it tasted delicious as always. 

To make my version of Sambal Balado: 

Ingredients:
  • 1 large eggplant sliced horizontally to even thickness - 2 eshallots peeled cut to half - 3 garlic peeled
  • 4 large red chillies stems removed
  • 2 ripe tomatoes
  • 2 table spoon of dried shrimps - salt - sugar 


Method:
  1. Put eshallots, garlic, red chillies, dried shrimps and tomatoes in the blender and blend the mixture until it becomes a purée. 
  2. In a large pan, fry eggplant circles in generous amount of oil until both sides are cooked and tender. Put the fried eggplants aside. Add oil in the pan and fry the chilly paste mixture, add salt and sugar to taste. When serving, use a large circular cookie cutter to stack a layer of jasmine rice followed by the chilly paste and fried eggplants

Comments