My Bakmie Ayam Jamur (Traditional Indonesian Chicken Mushroom Noodles)


My Bakmie Ayam Jamur

The Indonesian in me has been calling out so I decided to cook Indonesian meals this week.

Bakmie Ayam Jamur is a popular chicken noodle dish in Indonesia. This dish usually consists of boiled thin or thick egg noodles, a sweet and salty chicken sauce (usually made out of diced chicken, minced garlic and sweet soy sauce as the base), choy sum (green vegetables) and it is served with a bowl of meat ball soup. Fried meat balls and fried Indonesian Wonton dumplings can also be served with this dish along with different type of chill sauces. Great, now I'm craving for fried meat balls.

I remember as a child in primary school Bakmie was the most expensive food at the school canteen (about AU$1.5 at the time) and I always looked forward to eating it. My younger sister Pam loves chilli, and I remember the time she poured spoon after spoon of chilli sauce to mix in her noodles.

Today luckily my husband  enjoys eating bakmie as well so sometimes I cook bake at home. This is my go to recipe.

My Bakmie Ayam Jamur 
This recipe will feed two people

Ingredients:

- 1 bunch of Choy Sum, washed well and cut to even pieces
- 2 packets of egg noodles
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil

- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 250 grams of minced chicken
- 1 small can of champignon mushrooms, diced into small pieces
- Sweet soy sauce (my family uses the Bangao brand)
- Less Salt Chicken Stock
- Canola Oil

- Optional: spring onion, fried shallots, chopped fresh chilli and chilli sauce can be used as garnish and condiments.

- 1 large pot
- 1 large pan
- 1 colander

Method:
1. Place pan on the stove. Turn on the flame/heat, heat a splash of canola oil and cook minced garlic briefly until fragrant. Add chicken mince, using a wooden spoon continuously mix until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.

2. Add champignon mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.

3. Add a few generous splash of sweet soy sauce and chicken stock until the meat mixture is covered. Mix well. Turn the heat to low and simmer the meat sauce for ten to fifteen minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces a bit. Taste test the meat sauce and add to the flavour as you wish.

4. Fill the large pot with water. Boil the water on the stove and cook the choy sum for a few minutes. Pick choy sum with a tong/large chopstick and set aside on a plate.

5. On the same pot, bring the water back to boil and cook the noodles according to the packaging instructions.

6. To serve set two large bowls, and pour a splash of soy sauce & sesame oil in each bowl. Add even amount of cooked noodles in each bowl and mix well. Place cooked choy sum and chicken mushroom sauce on top along with any condiments and garnish.




Comments